I haven't experienced much culture shock outside of coming to Utah. As far as being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I always feel comfortable in the Gospel and the traditions of the Church.
On Sunday, 22nd March 2009g. I attended my first ever temple dedication. I expected the dedication to proceed a lot differently than it did. I was concerned on the onset when the second councilor in the Bishopric announced that everyone needed to bring a white handkerchief. Maybe that just means all of the boys? Nope...EVERYONE.
So, with all doctrinal questions...I asked Michael what is the handkerchief for? He and Kelli explained to me about the Hosanna Shout and the Biblical history supporting the tradition.
Nevertheless, at the dedication I guess I still have my Pentacostal tendencies or viewpoints. After the dedicatory prayer ended, the second councilor in the First Presidency explained the tradition, its Biblical significance, and the procedures. What proceeded was a mass waving of the handkerchief just like the palm leaves when Christ entered Jerusalem on a donkey. (John 12:13; etc.) While waving the handkerchief everyone cries "Hosanna" to God.
The ritual is actually very spiritual and significant. I just couldn't help but wonder why it wasn't performed extemporaneously as people felt moved by the Spirit. I am grateful for the companionship of the Spirit. I know that the fulness of the Gospel of Jesus was restored upon the earth by a prophet called of God. I love the temple and the ordinances which are performed therein by the power and authority of the Holy Priesthood.
No comments:
Post a Comment