The reason I do not drink coffee (and many other Latter-day Saints aka "Mormons") is because I want to live in accordance with a commandment given by God called the Word of Wisdom. The Word of Wisdom is defined by mormon.org as "a law of health revealed by the Lord for our physical and spiritual benefit. In this revelation the Lord commands us not to use alcohol, tea, coffee, tobacco, and harmful or habit-forming substances, and promises blessings for obeying this commandment."
While continuing to discuss the Word of Wisdom, mormon.org further states that "your body is a precious gift from God. To help keep your body and mind healthy and strong, God wants you to follow the law of health He gave to Joseph Smith in 1833. This law is known as the
"In addition to emphasizing the benefits of proper eating and physical and spiritual health, God has spoken against the use of:
- Tobacco.
- Alcohol.
- Coffee and tea.
- Harmful, habit-forming drugs.
"Your body is instrumental in bringing you both pain and great joy. A healthy lifestyle promotes a sense of well-being. Exercise, eating and sleeping properly, and a cheerful attitude will all contribute to your happiness. Today, the scientific community promotes many of the same principles that a loving Heavenly Father gave to Joseph Smith nearly two centuries ago."
Though the commandment is very specific in advising everyone everywhere to eat and live healthy, it is also very explicit in what types of things should not be consumed. One of these things is coffee. Mormons and non-Mormons alike speculate as to why coffee is specifically out-ruled by the Lord. Many believe that it is because of the caffeine. Some reason that caffeine, as an addictive substance, can caught people to value it above the Lord.President Boyd K. Packer, Acting President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles has explained that "the Spirit does not get our attention by shouting or shaking us with a heavy hand. Rather it whispers. It caresses so gently that if we are preoccupied we may not feel it at all. (No wonder that the Word of Wisdom was revealed to us, for how could the drunkard or the addict feel such a voice?)"
Still others argue that coffee is a harmful substance because of the carcinogens in coffee which cause cancer. Numerous research studies maintain that "a cup of coffee is estimated to contain over 2,000 natural occurring chemical components some of which are highly mutagenic (causes changes in the cell genes). Many mutagens are also carcinogens. One cup of coffee has the equivalent of fifty times the mutagenic activity of smoke absorbed from smoking a single cigarette."
Regardless of the reason, the Lord has said, "What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled." (Doctrine and Covenants 1:38)
The whole point of all of this rambling was not to preach about the Word of Wisdom. If anyone else either of the LDS faith or not desires to drink coffee or consume anything else listed has every right to do whatsoever he or she pleases. I am no one's judge. "Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." (Matthew 22:21) The point was, however, to discuss how frequently I drink hot chocolate. Especially when it is cold (i.e., winter in Utah) or when it is late at night before I go to bed. I didn't realize I had such a problem until I noticed this collection of cups next to my bed. haha.
4 comments:
All I can say is that I'm glad I never had a chance to drink coffee before I was baptized. I think I would have been an addict for sure.
Rachel! I miss you terribly! I am working on a paper for Ben's class that is killin' me. We need to get together sometime before I head back to Louisiana.
Phil! I know chocoholics, and I am not one of them. But if it's hot, I'll drink it. ;)
Looks like you might be addicted!
Post a Comment