Monday, March 21, 2011

Thank Goodness I'm NOT a Single, Working Mother!

What a whirlwind weekend! I had to work, so I was staying in town instead or visiting my family.

Anyhow, earlier in the week my sister called me all distressed 'cause her baby's daddy was being a jerk. He's the controlling type--and even though they aren't together he will never help her out with the baby because he doesn't want her to have friends and go out and have fun. So I told her that she could bring my beautiful niece to me anytime and that I'd watch her.

Well, Courtney (my sister) picked THIS weekend for me to babysit Peyton (my niece). I had a few options for Friday night: I could go to a Scentsy Party...or have a friend over for grilled hamburgers and Wii goodness...or babysit 2 year old triplets with the addition of my one year old niece, Pey-Pey. I decided to take the babysitting job (on account of spending almost $100 to get my brakes fixed). The triplets were pretty good. Peyton, on the other hand, was not her usual chipper self. She was super fussy!

Saturday I was supposed to go to work at 9am to finish setting up at the fair grounds. But they told me I didn't need to come in since I live a little bit out of town. So Peyton and I stayed home--played outside, watched cartoons, played toys, etc. That little turkey was fussy and REFUSED to take a nap! I needed that nap too since I was going to be working until midnight! Well, she finally starts to fall asleep at 4:45pm. I let her take a little 15 minute catnap, but promptly awoke Sleeping Cutie so she wouldn't be up all night.
Peyton loved the playhouse. She went in and out of the door!

Pey-Pey frolicking in a field of flowers!

Emma and Aeris laying in the sunshine. Peyton fell over. She was searching for Emma's "Belly Butt."

Casey agreed to watch Pey-Pey on account that she's a really easy baby. But they had gone to some relative's birthday party. I had to be to work at 6pm. Casey called me around 5:30 and said that they were on their way home, but had to stop by a store because Emma was running a fever and throwing up. I didn't want to burden Casey with a fussy baby on top of her own sick child. Plus I was freaking out about being late for work. (Being late freaks me out almost to the point of hyperventilation). Needless to say, Casey walked through the door and I immediately exited at 5:57pm. I was late. Boo to that.
The Sleeping Angel I came home to Saturday night after work.

Sunday was pretty amazing. I don't think I listened to anything said during Sacrament Meeting. But Peyton was very well-behaved. I sat with Tracy because she has a two year old--I figured that would provide some self-entertainment for both babies. Good thinking on my behalf! ;) Peyton was also pretty good in Nursery. She fussed a little bit--but that's because she was tired and getting hungry...which is a good reason to fuss.

We went home, ate lunch, took a nap (hooray!), then played inside and outside, ate dinner, and took a bath before Courtney finally came and relieved me of duty at 7:30pm. All in all, I think Peyton had fun. I know Casey's girls loved having her! And of course, I absolutely adored having her...except that time on Saturday when she refused to take a nap and fussed all day long because she was tired...yeah, that time she could have spent with her Mommy! ;)
"Cheese!" Pey-Pey eating dinner!

Truth be told: I'm so incredibly thankful that I'm waiting until marriage to start a family. I'm so blessed to NOT be a single, working mother. Honestly, I wouldn't wish such a circumstance on my worst enemy (not that I have any, really)! It's super tough to try to work full-time...usually ridiculously crazy hours and juggle feeding, clothing, entertaining, and cleaning up after baby. Good job to all single, working moms out there who are still slightly sane and look good! You are incredible!

3 comments:

Rachel Leslie said...

I don't know how single mama's do it, it really is beyond me. I think the hardest thing would be the lack of sleep and to feel you had no one to turned to when it was really tough. I also think having to work when you really wanted to be home with your young children would be especially hard.

Anonymous said...

AGREED!!! I helped my sister with nannying her kiddos (babysitting, school runs, gymnastics/swimming/etc runs, housework, packing for a move) for a week and a half, and I was BEAT. I don't know how ANY mother does it! It must be worth it though...people keep having babies =)

Looks like a really fun weekend, regardless of all the work! She's a cutie!

Andy said...

Alas, some mothers are single. Yet none is lonely.