Thursday, August 6, 2009

Mormon Goes Muslim

My Thai family is Muslim. While on my mission in Russia, I met many Islamic people. They were always very kind, generous, clean, modest, and very devote to their religion and standards. The same thing is true of my family here in Thailand. I love them so much. Therefore, what is important to them is important to me. I have been attending the Mosque in Chiang Mai on Fridays and afterwards having meetings with one of the men that speaks English. He let me check out some books from his library. I read two books introducing Islam. My Thai mom is letting me borrow her English Qur'an. I am learning a lot. There are many similarities in the religious aspects of Islam and Mormonism.

Some of the similarities include: *a washing ritual before entering the Mosque for worship. *a belief in God and prophets. *modesty. *patriarchal family system. *a code for what can and cannot be taken into the body for health purposes. *a firm belief and faith in holy scriptures. *communal support, service, and unity.

These pictures are from the first time I went to the Mosque in Thailand with my Thai family:
(My Thai mom, Ae, with her neighbor and niece.)

(Ae's niece and me. I loved her veil! It was so beautiful!)

(This Mosque is the biggest in Chiang Mai. In Chiang Mai there are four Mosques.)

(I received a veil after having my first visit with Khun Vinai. I am pictured with his sister and another lady.)

(My Thai mom and I in front of the Mosque after Friday worship.)

2 comments:

Rachel Leslie said...

I've always been a fan of the head scarfs. Think of all the double chin removal surgery they don't even consider over there. sigh.

irene said...

Sondra, that is so wonderful. I like the parallels you found in the 2 religions. You are such a great person. P.s, I meant to answer your Q a while back, so (in a whisper) : NYU or Stanford, plus others are where we hope to end up for grad school. (we're allowed to dream right)