Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Devastation: So I'm a Drama Queen. Who knew?

This is the story of Reba. Reba is my car. She's a 1991 Ford Tempo. And she's red. No, seriously--R-E-D. Outside's red, inside's red. You just can't escape the redness of Reba.

As I was getting ready to graduate from University, I was looking for a vehicle. Initially, I was heels over head in-love with the yellow Nissan Xterras. They are beautiful! I found a blue one and his seller. However, the bank didn't want to fork up the money without a co-signer. I didn't want a co-signer for several reasons. So when push came to shove, I didn't get the loan. :(

I knew that I needed some mode of transportation to get me and everything I owned back to Louisiana from Utah. I paid my tithing in full every paycheck. I said my prayers and told Heavenly Father my need. I searched online at ksl.com and craigslist.org.

Finally at the very last minute--after graduation even! I went to test drive a Ford Explorer. It was the perfect size to haul all of my crap (turns out I'm a pack rat...). The seller was asking a little more than I wanted to pay. So I prayed about it. Then I stumbled upon Reba. I met the seller (she listed it as my "Dave Ramsey Car"). Gave her a test drive. Went home to pray about it. Felt great. Decided to buy her. Bought her.

Reba has been a champion. No, literally. A champ. She drove up big mountains in Utah and Colorado. She fared the wind and tumble weeds in New Mexico. And she survived the ginormity of Texas. She somehow managed to preserve the life of my fish, Killer and my strawberry (which Lena later ate) and aloe plants. In addition to me and my mother, Reba packed down half of everything I own.

By now I hope that you can tell how much I adore and love Reba. She cost $800.00 and has paid for herself in the last four months that we've been together.

Now let me tell you a little more about Reba: She spoils me. No joke. Reba came with cruise control. I had never really used cruise control before I met Reba. Now I'm addicted. It's terrible. I should be more self-reliant. But I'm spoiled all because of Reba.

This past week my cruise control went out. I was (and still am) devastated! How can anyone (especially ME!!!) live without cruise control?!?! When I bought Reba--she didn't (and still doesn't) have air conditioning. Being the cold-blooded person that I am...I didn't see any reason why I needed to pay to fix the A/C when I could roll down my windows for free. Every now and again I sweat...and sometimes I look a little unkempt when I arrive at Church or work...but no one really cares since I rarely brush my hair anyhow...and I always wear deodorant. My Dad has offered to pay to get my A/C fixed. And my Mom keeps mentioning it to me every time I go to visit her in Jennings. But there's no sense in me or someone else spending money when it's almost cold time anyways.

To most people, a broken air conditioner would be a HUGE deal. I mean, people start breakin' a sweat when the temperature elevates above 70 degrees. In that type of weather I need a light jacket. ;) But my cruise control broke! I don't know what to do. It threw off my whole routine of driving. It even caused me to postpone my trip to Baton Rouge (a 2.5-3 hour drive) last weekend.

See I love cruise control 1) because I have gotten used to having it and have established a routine in speed and travel. Plus 2) it allows me to kick up and relax while steering.
I can text on my phone or talk...or really get into singin' along with the radio...or totally just daze out and have a conversation with God. Radio off and I jabber away.

The great thing about cruise control is that it prevents me from getting lots of tickets from diligent patrolmen. You see, I inherited my lead foot from my Momma. (Heaven forbid I have to put my foot on the accelerator in the first place! Sheesh!)
Without cruise control, I get easily distracted and forget about my speed. Before I know it I'm doing 76 in a 55! Or sometimes I end up doing 32 in a 55! With all this crazy fluctuation in speed, Reba is just chuggin' gas by the gallons. And money doesn't grow on trees!

So I did a little research to see why my cruise control got broken. Turns out that the speed sensor was all jacked up! So my Uncle Marty ordered me a new one and is gonna install it this week! Yippee! Now driving to Jennings (1-1.5 hours) won't be such a hassle...let alone driving home everyday after work (yes, I use cruise control on my ride home...all the way out on Oberlin Hwy 7 miles--told ya Reba spoiled me!). Hallelujah!

No comments: