Saturday, September 20, 2008

Буксируемый автомобиль и Индиана Джонз (Towed car and Indiana Jones)

Today couldn't have been a BETTER day! haha. (Yeah, that was lathered in sarcasm.) Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays Marta has class at 10am...which means I work at 10am. So we were on our way to school a little earlier than usual. It was 9:13am when we got into the car and left the house. At 9:16am we get lit up by the Po-pos. Now, this isn't very entertaining considering Marta has been havin' a lotta heck since she arrived in Utah. She's had trial after trial. And literally, when it rains...it pours.
The area was a school zone. 35 mph in a 20. The insurance card expired the day prior. When a cop sits in his car for more than five minutes...that means he's writing you a ticket. He was SO happy that we were wearin' our seatbelts...that he wrote her for 8 over in a 20. Apparently they are really strict and it's MANDATORY to write a ticket to someone in a school zone. (Had he seen the moves she pulled LAST week OUTSIDE of the school zone...Marta is the BEST defensive driver I know.)
Well, GREAT! Now that makes our day lucky. We had to give a presentation in RUSSIAN in Tony Brown's class on Skazki, Mify, and Bwileny. I saw this pulling-over as a BAD omen. Definitely. Plus Marta had made the bed that morning...and it is bad luck to make your bed on a big exam day (not that a presentation is an exam...but it sure felt like it!)
The presentation doesn't go half bad. (Which apparently means that it halfway did!) Afterwards we felt like freshly liberated prisoners...but during the presentation...it was pure hell.
That night we decided to celebrate our freedom by watching the new Indiana Jones move at the dollar theater. (Which is a lie...it is a dollar and twenty-five cents theater IF you are a student! If you are not a student...it's a dollar fifty. They should use the extra money to change the name.) Well, Mrs. Nancy had just gone on a date with Bro. White previously that week...and they informed us that there was ALOTTA Russian in the movie.
Now, personally...I thought I was ALL Russianed out. That presentation kicked my trash. And besides...the movie didn't start until 9:35pm. I was cool to just come home and go to sleep. The life was sucked outta me. And I was really undetermined when I realized Pee-Cat had peed on the specific jeans I wanted to wear! Ugh! [The animals know I am angry with them when I speak to them in my adult voice and not my cutsie animal voice.] With my introverted tendency to stay home once I arrive home...I was completely unmotivated. But Marta REALLY wanted to go...and it's easier to do things together.
So off we went! Everyone, their dog, AND their momma were at the theater. Seems that Friday nights are real popular for movie watching. (It has been so long since I've been in the movie viewin' scene...) All of the parkin' was full. Well, we drive past this red section which obviously means PARKING HERE IS ILLEGAL! So we park in "unmarked" stalls in the normal section where everyone else is ALSO taking it upon themselves to intelligently create orderly parking. We lock the car and enter the theater.
The movie was great(the alien plot was a little far fetched)! Insofar as Marta and I were the only ones in the theater that understood the Russian because we were the only ones laughing when Russian was spoken. This made me feel a million times better. I can actually understand real Russian...not this 'fake' school Russia. So we skip out of the theater feeling triumphant. And we get to where the car was parked...and it's gone.
Maybe this was a stupid question. Obviously, how could Marta know where the car was when she was with me the whole time? But I asked anyways..."Where's your car?" Now, me and my naivety, I figured it was stolen. Never in a million years had I thought we'd done anything illegal. So I suggest that we move a little closer to where the car was suppose to be...and then we'd realize we exited the theather wrong and were turned around. Well, we get there...and that wasn't the case. The car was there...and then...it wasn't?
So I say...well, perhaps we should read this sign HALF A MILE DOWN THE PARKING LOT in the red section in which we did NOT park! Low and behold...in tiny lettering...if you park in an unmark stall...then your car will be towed...and you will have to pay a towing fee of $157.
Thanks to those Rock the Block partiers who also were illegally parking...the towmen we called from their families at 8pm to begin towing cars. Marta calls the number to figure out where the impound lot is. I'm standing in shock wonderin' how the heck we will get there when we find out where it is. "Hello, Mister, you towed our car. Now can you come tow us, too?"
In swoop modern day heroes like Batman and Robin to save us damsels in distress. Literally...I was wearin' sweats and looked like I crawled out of the dumpster. I wasn't scared...how often did I get into cars with strangers in Russia? Practically everyday! These kids didn't know that I know 137 different ways to kill them with a straw. They weren't gonna pull nothing!
We search Provo for Express Impound Lot. We go in and pay the fine...and drive home. Another day conquered.

No comments: